It’s party time! The theme: slutty
OhMyGodWhatshouldIwearHowshouldIlookWhatmakeupdoIuseIsthedress
justrightTheseheelsaresohighHowmanyguysaregoingtoseeme
DoIlooksexy?!?!?!??!
justrightTheseheelsaresohighHowmanyguysaregoingtoseeme
DoIlooksexy?!?!?!??!
HOLD IT LADIES!!!!!!
What in the world are you doing dressing like that!
Did respecting ourselves become the motto of the past? When I see girls spending hours trying to look like “ladies of the night”, I can’t comprehend the motivation, unless they have no clue that date rape is a big issue among young people. Getting dressed into the lowest cut top with the shortest skirt and the tightest fit seems like an invitation for prostitution. You don’t see someone dress up like a cop, badge and all, just to tell people that he isn’t one. Why are you showing everything if you don’t want things to go too far; and even if you wanted that, when did that become ok?
Furthermore, who made it our job to look sexy? When guys go the parties they don’t wear feet-breaking shoes, uncomfortable thongs, and so much make-up that all traces of natural beauty is covered up. They believe that when girls show up in provocative clothes, they are just showing off what is available; leading to more predatory actions against innocent girls who don’t want to become victims. Still knowing that, girls will spend lots of money and hours picking out the perfect outfit with the least amount of fabric and using many more hours for “face art” just to go out for the night to get drunk and dirty dance. Why are we so obsessed with this new fashion craze and clubbing get-up?
The sad part is; I know why…
It starts out with what you wear, then what you do, then who you become. You’ve got the reputation of “the party girl”; the one who goes out every night to get wasted, who wears the hottest outfits, who has the most invitations to the coolest parties. The social life becomes the only life. Who needs school when you have all the coolest friends? They’ve motivated you to do things that you never would have done before – in what you wear and what you do, to how often you do it and with the least amount of consequences. But the thing is; there are always consequences that come with it. So why have we set ourselves up for bad situations, when we could have avoided them all along?
I would go as far as to label women who dress their selves in little to almost no attire as narcissistic.
ReplyDeleteAnd it is those same narcissistic characteristics that give people the need to be validated by other people. It's easier to believe someone when instead of yourself saying "I look so good in the dress" that someone said "Becky looks so good in her dress!". Many people are fueled by that need to stick out and be admired by all and unfortunately I believe we all fall victim to that at one time or another in our lives.
However, it is if that one time is many times, or just about every weekend. I believe it is alright to look good and attractive when going out to impress some people, but going to impress everybody is an unnecessary and unhealthy [mental] habit.
I agree with your view on this matter. It’s a shame for girls to think that they have to dress in a different way in order to stand out.
ReplyDeleteI definitely noticed this change when I came to college. I grew up in a small, conservative town in the midwest. There were a few girls who dressed, as you said in your post, like girls of the nights, but mostly everyone dressed conservative. My first night at college, I saw so many girls stumbling in heels and short dresses. I don’t know why they put themselves through that. I agree with Atevans when he says it is a mental habit. No one in the right state of mind would keep repeating that same mistake.
It's completely true. Society has put a "look" into many of our minds that we must somehow match in order to be socially acceptable. This trend has gone from college students all the way into young children. Vogue and other designer magazines have become the social "bibles" of teenagers where degrading oneself by being "sexy" leads to a step up on the social hierarchy. It's a process of 1. Get the look, 2. Get the popular guy from the look, 3. Get the fake popular friends 4. POPULARITY OMG!....Ridiculous, No other word to describe it.
ReplyDeleteAtevans is right--there is a connection between this kind of display and narcissism, which everyone thinks is having a big self-image but really, it's the insecure people who are the narcissists. Hross says society has put a "look" into our minds of how to be socially acceptable, but more specifically it's the consumer society that wants to make money off of our need for attention.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the discussion thread how unfortunate it is that many girls’ self esteem depends on peer approval. They might think dressing provocatively and the accompanying attention will make them feel better. However, they will always feel badly if they define themselves by how others view them. Girls who live their lives based on looks and labels will constantly battle insecurity. Ultimately, it is about feeling beautiful when you take your make up off.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I would like to correct some misinformation in your post. You said, “Getting dressed into the lowest cut top with the shortest skirt and the tightest fit seems like an invitation for prostitution...Why are you showing everything if you don’t want things to go too far… They believe that when girls show up in provocative clothes, they are just showing off what is available; leading to more predatory actions against innocent girls who don’t want to become victims.” I would like to clarify that there is never an excuse for date rap or any “predatory action.” If I want to wear a low cut shirt, I am not asking to be taken advantage of. If any kind of predatory action is committed, the guilty party should be punished. It is ridiculous that wearing a revealing outfit could be seen as an excuse to defend a criminal action.
I'm not defending a criminal action, I'm saying that more acts take place against girls who dress like that late at night. Reread what I am saying because it is definitely not what you think.
ReplyDelete